What is the Build-A-Bug Contest?
Build-A-Bug was invented by Jackie Wagner, a 9th grade teacher at Penns Valley Junior/Senior High School. We have adapted her lesson plans to create the Build-A-Bug contest. Participants build biologically correct insects, which are judged by a committee from the Department of Entomology. Prizes will be awarded at each grade level. Build-A-Bug is an easy, fun and creative way to learn about the world of insects.
Who can enter?
Anyone in grades kindergarten through 6th. Teachers, you can do Build-A-Bug as a class project and enter your student's creations.
- Your model must be an INSECT or other ARTHROPOD. Note: Your insect does not have to live in the United States.
- Your insect must be between 6-12 inches long, and sturdy. The combined insect and habitat cannot exceed 12 inches long x 12 inches wide.
- Be accurate when building your model (appropriate
proportions, true color and form, etc.).
- The more detail your model has, the better.
- A written description must accompany your model and
• The scientific name or the common name, if you know it, of the insect.
• The name of the order to which it belongs.
• A brief description of the insect’s habitat.
• Where the insect is located geographically.
• Your name and address on model description.
• At least 2 interesting and unique facts about the insect you’ve modeled (i.e. “it has 6 legs and 3 body segments” doesn’t count).
Choosing the Winners:
One winning model will be chosen for each grade level by a committee from the Penn State Entomology Department. Winners will be announced at 1:00 P.M.
All winning models will become a part of our Public Education Program for one year and can be reclaimed at the next year's Great Insect Fair. They will be prominently displayed around the hallways of the Department of Entomology, and used as examples for future Build-A-Bug contests. Winning entries will also be displayed on the Great Insect Fair website.
How to Enter:
If you decide to make a model for the contest, please mail or fax your preregistration form to the address or fax number below. This will reserve a spot for you in the exhibit area. (TEACHERS - you must preregister your students by September 5th. Contact the Entomology Department for special instructions.) Then bring your model to the Fair by 9:30 A.M. on September 13th.
REMINDER: PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS ARE LISTED SOMEWHERE ON YOUR MODEL DESCRIPTION!
If you have any questions about the Build-A-Bug Contest, contact
Preregistration mailing address:
Department of Entomology
Penn State University
501 ASI Building
University Park, PA 16802