For each registration, it is expected that the student, in consultation with their adviser, will prepare a schedule of courses and research designed to fit individual needs and to meet the pertinent credit limits. Registration for fall semesters begins in March; registration for spring semesters begins the previous September.
The Penn State registration process consists of two steps:
- The student enrolls in specific courses.
- Registration is complete upon receipt of payment of tuition and fees.
Students who have enrolled in courses will receive a statement of tuition and fees from the Bursar’s Office. This statement includes amount(s) due as well as possible credits resulting from applicable scholarships, loans, grants, and other forms of financial assistance. In some cases, because of the possible financial credits, a student may not be required to make payment to the University. In other cases, a student may be due a refund from the University. IN ALL CASES, REGARDLESS OF THE AMOUNT DUE, ACTION IS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS:
- You may pay by credit card (MasterCard or Discover), via eLion or at bursar.psu.edu.
- Return payment and the semester bill to the Bursar's Office, 103 Shields Building.
- If the "net payable" is less than $100, you must confirm your registration online by using eLion.
To avoid late payment fees, both payment and the semester bill must be returned to the Bursar's Office by the due date printed on your semester bill. If you do not receive a semester bill, contact the Bursar's Office, 814-865-6528.
All of the following conditions apply to students with incomplete registrations:
- Students will not receive grades for courses attended.
- Once classes begin, students cannot add courses for the current semester.
- Students are ineligible to register for future semesters.
- The student's Penn State Access Account will be suspended.
- If receiving student loans, the student may enter a repayment status with lender.
- If receiving student aid, some aid sources may be cancelled and unable to be reinstated at a later date.
- If living in University housing, the student will need to vacate housing.
- Faculty are not obligated to provide instruction or administer assessment for the student.
- The University reserves the right to cancel an incomplete registration for failure to pay tuition and fees.
- International students may be out of compliance with the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) federal requirements.
Methods of Registering
eLion Web Registration
- Hours of Operation: 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time, 7 days a week)
- Register in person at the Registrar's Office, 112 Shields Building, or the entomology department's main office, 501 ASI Building.
- There are certain registration activities that require in-person registration, such as:
- Enrolling in a closed course (instructor approval required)
- Enrolling in a controlled course (department approval required)
- Enrolling in a course after the regular drop/add period of the semester (Iinstructor approval required)
- Enrolling in a course as "audit" or "satisfactory/unsatisfactory" grading option