Richard (Rick) Grazzini, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., 1993, Genetics, Penn State University
- M.S., 1980, Horticulture (plant breeding), Purdue University
- B.S., 1975, Biology (with concurrent teaching certification),Penn State
Alex Laurie Award, Ohio Florists Association, 12 July 1998 (best floricultural research publication in 1997, awarded in response to the publication of "Grazzini, R.A.; D. Walters, J. Harmon, D.J. Hesk, D. Cox-Foster, J. Medford, R. Craig, and R.O. Mumma. 1997. Inheritance of Biochemical and Morphological Characters Associated with Two-spotted Spider Mite Resistance in Pelargonium xhortorum , Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science.122(3):373-379".
2002 Outstanding Science Alumni Award, The Pennsylvania State University, Eberly College of Science, October 4, 2002. The Outstanding Science Alumni Awards are presented annually to recognize and reward outstanding Penn State alumni for their success as leaders in science and for the impact they have had and will continue to have on society and their professions.
2009 Outstanding Alumni Award, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, October 30, 2009
Research Interests, Activities, & Specializations:
- Plant breeding and genetics, particularly in ornamental species
- Mutation induction and breeding
- Development of molecular markers for use in marker-assisted breeding and selection
- Plant evolution and speciation via interspecific hybridization and/or polyploidization
- Natural product chemistry, particularly phytochemical composition and content
- Host-plant resistance
- Analytical chemistry and biochemistry